Travelling in the southern U.S.? Going on an adventure to a tropical or subtropical or desert environment Planning on canyoneering in the summer?
Here is a handful of helpful hints for surviving outdoor adventures in the extreme heat.
- Drink lots of water or you will die – perhaps as much as a liter/quart per hour if exerting in the heat.
- Stay with your buddy or you will get lost and die – Make sure that you and your buddy know how to deal with extreme heat and heat-related illness.
- Know the signs, symptome, and first aid for heat injuries and illnesses. See the infographic below.
- Reduce your work periods and increase your rest periods
- If temp is above 85 degrees F, exert 45 minutes and rest 15 minutes every hour.
- If temp is above 90 degrees F, exert 30 minutes and rest 30 minutes of each hour.
- If temp is above 95 degrees F, exert 15 minutes and rest 45 minutes every hour.
- If temp is above 100 degrees F, suspend exertion.
- Consider hiking at night, or schedule your hiking to happen in early am and late pm with a siesta in the shade in mid-day. You may have to carry a sun shelter with you for your siesta
- Wear light clothing and a hat.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen!
Chub rub, chafe, friction rub, monkey butt, crotch rot, heat rash – whatever you call this unfortunate phenomenon, you know what I’m talking about and for hikers it’s a total pain in the… ahem… nether regions! It may be an uncomfortable topic to discuss, but it is vital to have a plan to deal with it […]
Something that you realize fast during any outdoor adventure or any disaster situation. Water weighs a LOT! 8.3 pounds per gallon adds up fast! Emergency prep experts tell us to try to stockpile 1 gallon of water per person per day in the event of emergencies – and to be prepared to last out the […]
The Rule of Threes There is a Rule of Threes that we use to begin teaching survival to kids. It states that you can live for about 3 minutes without oxygen, about 3 days without water, and about 3 weeks without food. That’s not saying you’ll be happy and healthy – it is sure to […]